Celebrating Old Skool Music, Culture and Legacy
If you’re not already aware, next month sees the release of Billy “Daniel” Bunter’s new album “Digging Deep”. The idea behind the project was to avoid the usual anthems found on “old skool” albums and instead focus on the rare and obscure tracks from 91 to 94 mixed from vinyl and dublate only.
In his own words…
“In 2007 I mixed a gold selling CD for Ministry Of Sound mixed all from vinyl and Dubs. Since then every album I’ve done has been mixed digitally, remastering classic tracks, editing live and pushing the boundaries of sound quality and what could be done in the mix.
I’m proud of all those albums… BUT…
After 10 years I’m excited to go back to mixing my new album all from vinyl and dubs.
I’ve become obsessed with it being as raw and authentic as possible. I want the surface noise of the vinyl. I want the crackly dubs. I don’t want edits, I don’t want the effects from the mixer… I want it to be as rough, rugged and raw as I can possibly make it.
I’m lost in mixing 80 tracks as perfect as the 1210’s will let me get them. Every time I hear a pop or a crackle I want it in there, I’m not editing it out.”
This week Bunter published the full tracklisting for the album revealing a top selection of tunes spanning a range of genres, with just the right balance of light and shade. For example, Disk 1 begins with an early warehouse sound before going on to blend the ragga jungle stylings of Cool Hand Flex with some of Hedgehog Affair’s early crowd-pleasers, all before climaxing with ruffest hardcore sounds of Nebula 2. On paper this is a top set so in terms of the final album I guess it all comes down to the execution.
Disk 2 doesn’t disappoint either and includes a selection of stand out breakbeat tunes from back in the day. Personal highlights of mine are “Plight Of The Innovators” by Fast Floor and “Come Together” by Edge of Darkness – both of which hold very strong memories of a very specific moment in time and it’s good to see them included.
However, the biggest surprise is disk 3 – a selection of more recent releases, some of which are taken from last year’s “88 to 94” album by Bunter and Sanxion and this year’s “Energy Flows” by Liquid. With the addition of Disk 3 that takes the total track count from an originally announced 52 to an impressive 82!
Take a look at the list below and judge for yourself. Where possible the titles are linked to corresponding YouTube videos so you can check out the audio.
Has he “dug deep”? Has he achieved his goal of producing an album of rarely featured tunes? Everyone has an opinion… what’s yours?
Billy “Daniel” Bunter’s “Digging Deep” can be pre-ordered from Music Mondays.
DISK 1 – 24 CAMBRIDGE HEATH ROAD E1
20. FLINT – JC 22
21. PSEUDO 3 – HALF 2 TILL 5
22. PSEUDO 3 – RENK & DIRTY
23. NOISE FACTORY – SET ME FREE
DISK 2 – 12 DALSON LANE E8, THEN
3. CHOCI – HOLD IT DOWN
12. INTENSE – WHITE DOCTOR GROOVE
28. SKRUFNECK – REINCARNATION
29. POOCH – RUDEBOY
DISK 3 – 12 DALSTON LANE E8, NOW
1. LIQUID FT RACHEL WALLACE – RUNAWAY
2. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION – 92 BREAKBEAT PIANO
3. B & S – DUB 3 (DUB PLATE)
4. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION – 92 BREAKBEAT UNDERGROUND
5. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION – 91 UK RAVE
6. SANXION & RETROPOLIS – DOPE JAMS (DUB PLATE)
7. B & S – DUB 1 (DUB PLATE)
8. DJ JEDI – ESCAPISM
9. LIQUID – EVERYTHING’S GOING TO BE ALRIGHT
10. SANXION & RETROPOLIS – HORIZONS (DUB PLATE)
11. DJ JEDI – HERE IT COMES
12. B & S – DUB 4 (DUB PLATE)
13. MARK DUNBAR – LOVE THE FREAK IN ME
14. MAC ATTACK & SKEME – JUNOS (ARMOUR MAC & NUNNY REMIX)
15. B & S – DUB 2 (DUB PLATE)
16. MARK DUNBAR – ROCK WITH ME NOW
17. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION FT LAURA MAC – 93 DARK & LIGHT
18. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION – 93 DARKSIDE
19. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION FT DAVINA – 94 UPLIFTING HARDCORE
20. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & LUNA C – NEAR AND FAR
21. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION – 94 PROTOTYPE D & B
22. DJ FORCE & THE EVOLUTION – FALL DOWN ON ME (BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION REMIX)
23. DJ JEDI – FRENZY
24. DETOX & THE MIGHTY ATOM – WATERWORKS
25. BILLY DANIEL BUNTER & SANXION – I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF DARKNESS